Monday, April 9, 2012

SOME NEWS//

If you follow me on twitter or are friends with me on facebook, you have seen that I have left my marketing major and am now an Art major at the University of Arkansas with a focus in Visual Design. Guys, I cannot tell you how happy I am. For those of you who know me personally, or heck, if youre reading this right now, you can see that I am obviously in love with visual design. I've got a passion for creativity, and business couldnt have been more opposite from the person I am. I originally chose marketing one, because I didnt know what else to major in and business was broad and two, because marketing was as creative I could get within the business school. The first semester wasnt too bad with business classes since the only business class I actually took was a business law lecture. But this semester, I've had a handful of classes that really show me what business looks like. And if youve been reading my blog and talking to me over the past semester, you know I hate it. I knew I wanted a more creative major that would aid me in doing hands on work. I wanted to do art. I wanted to do graphic design or web design, or SOMETHING that would stretch my creativity. I was just so afraid to leave such a stable degree like business.

Over the past few months I have come to terms with the reality that, it really doesnt matter what I major in. I know the Lord is gonna take me where I need to be. I dont know why I waste my time trying to set up my future, when really, theres nothing I can or WANT to do to control it. My plans suck. His plans are perfect. The thing that he's revealed to me over these past few months is that he trusts me. I've been so scared to make any decisions because I havent heard clearly what he wants me to major in. He's been silent. And I've learned today its because he trusts me enough to let me choose the road I take. He trusts me because he knows I'm still gonna look to him every step of the way. I'm so inadequate, but he still lets me choose what I want to do. What a good father.

There has been SO much more going on that has lead up to this point, but I decided just to give yall this quick little summary. Long story short, I went to my advisor today and am officially an Art Major and I couldnt be happier! I know this is where I'm supposed to be. I cant wait for next semester. I'm taking 2 studio classes: a drawing fundamentals class & 2d design class. I'm also taking Art History, and 2 rando credits. Next semester is gonna be crazy tough but sooooo interesting and worth every amount of effort.

I'd have to say the most exciting thing about moving to a degree in Visual Design is the career options it leads to. I mean seriously, you can do blog stuff like this, event planning, wedding planning, graphic design, advertising, church media, etc. Gosh, and ALL those sound amazing! So pumped for my future!!!


"The LORD says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. 
I will advise you and watch over you." 
Psalm 32:8


No comments:

Post a Comment