Monday, March 26, 2012

Bearing The Fruit//


The other day, I had been thinking about many different parts of my life. School, friends, church, work, etc. In all honesty, I was angrily-thinking about how pointless some of the things I do are. But unfortunately, these seemingly "pointless things" are things I have to do. Like, taking business classes. I hate it! I hate it, and not only that, but these classes are so difficult! I'm spending so much time studying and doing homework for a major I really dont even like. So, while I was contemplating my frustrations, Jesus reminded me of the fruits of the spirit, and how he intends every area, whether we enjoy doing it or not, to bear fruit. So, off that, heres my little devotional for you today:

Read John 15:1-17
Key Verse: "I am the true grapevine, and my father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that does not produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit, so they will produce even more. You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me."

1. Jesus wants every area of our life to bear fruit, and if its not bearing fruit, he cuts it off. Think of the three areas of your life that you put the most time into. It can be people, places, specific activities, etc. Dont think solely of the ones you get the most out of, or the ones you like the most, rather, really think about the things that take the most of your time and devotion out of your day.

2. Now detect and analyze what fruit(s), if any, that each of these activities or people are bearing. If there are no fruits coming out of that area, pray for how you can turn it around to start bearing fruit from it, or ask God if its an area you need to let go of completely.


Remember that Jesus intends even the sucky parts of our day to bear fruit. Like, those business classes, or work. Those are not fun! But even though they arent what I'd want to be doing, I have to do them. And because its a part of my life, they have the potential to bear much fruit! Anything and everything can be put under the authority of Jesus, the "gardener".

No comments:

Post a Comment